Sun City, AZ asked in Child Support for Arizona

Q: Ex has filed to change child support if I inherited a house will it affect the amount I pay? 50/50 custody in Az

I might be inheriting my sisters house and am wondering if it will affect the amount of child support I pay. My ex has just put in for a child support change do to both of us earning more and I am just unsure how this will affect it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter W Davis
Peter W Davis
  • Mesa, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: The answer is "it depends" while child support in Arizona is generally based upon earnings from a job, there are instances where child support may be ordered based upon resources. Further, if you receive income from this house (such as rental income) it may also be countable (even in addition to your income from wages). However, if you intend to reside in this house as your primary residence it is unlikely that it will be counted in the calculation. There are many factors that can go into the determination of what impacts your child support amount. Most firms offer a free 30 minute legal consultation for issues such as this one. I recommend speaking with a knowledgeable attorney regarding the details of a possible modification of child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.