Princeton Junction, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: My friend is living in atlanta,GA i want to move to his house and stay for 6 month without rent is it legal

My son want to go to school from my friend house but it's not rental property

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If your friends permits you to occupy his home that he owns and nit pay rent, you may do so. If he is a tenant and an owner of the home, there may be problems. If you do occupy your friend's home, it would be wise to get an agreement in writing.

The school issue is separate and distinct from the previous part of your question. In order for your son to attend school, you will need to provide proof to the school district of his residency. Since you will be intending to stay for at least six months, you will need to change your driving license address. Most likely you will need to school administration a written lease, utility bills with your name at the new address, and such othe proofs as may be required by the school district.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.