West Jordan, UT asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Utah

Q: My ex wife accessed my Facebook account tonight without permission. Will cops do anything?

Will this affect our custody agreement at all? Is she likely to be changed with anything?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Law enforcement is highly unlikely to be interested in taking your case to the prosecutor and, even if they did, the prosecutor is even less likely to be willing to press charges.

There is even less likelihood that the Court responsible for your family law matter would consider this grounds to modify a custody agreement. If there are other, more damaging facts related to her breach of your social media, that could affect my opinion, but her behavior would have to be shown to be dangerous to the child(ren) somehow before there would be cause to modify a custody agreement.

The most efficient solution is to change any and all passwords that you believe she might have to something neither she nor anyone else will be able to guess. Irritating and frustrating as this incident may be, you have no legal recourse. You will have to trust that karma will eventually bite your ex in the arse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.