Tampa, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: If I had a baby not being married, the father is not on birth certificate, do I have to let him see baby?

The father has not helped financially at all, he’s even questioned DNA, he has two other children from previous relationship and has nothing to do with them. I recently found out he now has another woman pregnant and also he’s on drugs and have proof.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole Vette
Nicole Vette
  • Lake Worth, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No, if a child is born outside of marriage then the mother has the rights until the father's paternity is adjudicated. There is no requirement to allow contact. Keep in mind that if you later end up in court, your actions in not allowing contact will be reviewed by the court. If you fear drug use then that is a good reason to object to visits but you want to make sure you are basing the decision on credible information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.