Salem, OR asked in Personal Injury for Oregon

Q: My apartment water leak for 8 months and so much mold now it has caused my partner to stay in hospital a week

So after the maintenance person not certified fixed the water leak the walls carpet and wood never got replaced my boyfriend was sent to hospital due to an infection on his foot the doc said mold had the most part to do with the infection my boyfriends foot got swollen and two of his toes got REALLY bad he has been in hospital for a little over a week my son has the same problem on his bottom and myself under arm pit the nurse said we should get a lawyer because of them not removing the wet carpet or walls with mold I have lots op pictures to show how bad it is now we have roaches and the manager and owner have been told by city of Salem to take care of it 6 months ago and it’s getting worse what can we do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: An article on the level of proof needed here:

You have a 1-year statute of limitations in the state of Oregon for all claims. If this is an ongoing issue, you can only go back one year under the landlord-tenant act, which allows attorney fees for the prevailing party. You also have negligence claims; however, there is no attorney fee provision available under the theory of negligence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.