Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: My husband’s kids mother is willing to sign her rights over to him does that still require a lawyer to do so?

1 Lawyer Answer
William R. Wright
William R. Wright
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ridgeland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: A lawyer is not required to be retained for a parent to terminate her parental rights. Likewise, your husband could perform his own vasectomy without a doctor if he chose to do so. But he wouldn't do that, of course. Believe it or not, a parental termination case is just as serious as a vasectomy. You don't want failure. If your husband wants to make sure the mother's parental termination is done correctly without fear having it set aside, he absolutely must retain an attorney who has handled termination cases in the past. The chancery clerk's office in your county can help identify local lawyers who handle Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.