Mount Vernon, NY asked in Child Custody for New York

Q: Can the court make me pay child support. If I am disabled and my child has always been disabled. I am on Medicaid.

I can't pay and don't want to pay. How can I stop? Please help me with this matter thank you...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Ivan Bliven
David Ivan Bliven
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • White Plains, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The short answer is yes - so long as you're the Father, you have a legal obligation to support the child. You will have the burden of proving you're disabled thru competent medical evidence. Even if you succeed in that burden, you'd still pay 17% of your disability, unless paying makes you fall below the self-support reserve 9135% of the poverty line). Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support Attorney for a full assessment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.