Ardmore, OK asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: My step father is trying to force me out of my mother's home, he signed a quit claim deed in a divorce/set a side.

They were legally married but he has not lived in the home since she passed, has a new girlfriend. My daughter and I have been in the home. He now wants me to move out without reason. I am my mothers only child and he signed a quit claim deed to my mother. Where do I stand with this. She didnt have a will. And so far I have handled most of everything estate related

1 Lawyer Answer
Anna L Self
Anna L Self
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If he signed a quit claim deed assigning his interest to your Mom then the house belongs to her. You should get a probate on file asap. As her only child you are her natural heir and the house should go to you but you have to have a Court determine that. Good Luck!

Charles Watts agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.