Asked in Family Law and Social Security for Oklahoma

Q: I am 18 years old and I want to change my last name to my birth dad's last name he died when I was seven what do I do

My grandpa who was his dad said I could and if need to we could do a DNA test with me and him but it's a complicated situation because my dad died when I was seven and I have no records of him except pictures when I was little and he signed in as my dad when I was born but never put on my birth certificate and I was adopted when I was 12 to my step dad but didn't want to be what should I do I don't have much money

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: I do not practice in Oklahoma, but your question appeared in my email today. Most attorneys will talk to you for free to see if they can help you. I recommend doing a google search for "oklahoma name change attorney". This will give you the contact info for several attorneys that understand what is needed in Oklahoma. Call one and do a consultation to find out what they charge and what steps are necessary.

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Name changes are relatively simple and just about any attorney can assist you with this. There are very few reasons that prevent you from the name change. Consult an attorney and you will find this can be a fairly quick process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.