Park Rapids, MN asked in Juvenile Law for Minnesota

Q: My 14 just got arrested for having a stolen gun. He is in a juvenile center what are the statues

This is his first offense

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Minnesota Statutes Sec. 609.52, Subd. 3. "Sentence. Whoever commits theft may be sentenced as follows:

(1) to imprisonment for not more than 20 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $100,000, or both, if the property is a firearm, or the value of the property or services stolen is more than $35,000 and the conviction is for a violation of subdivision 2, clause (3), (4), (15), (16), or (19), or section 609.2335, subdivision 1, clause (1) or (2), item (i); ..."

Minnesota Statutes Sec. 624.712, Subd. 5 defines a felony conviction or adjudication for 609.52 involving theft of a firearm, as a "crime of violence" triggering a lifetime ban on possession of firearms, and a lifetime loss of civil rights to firearms.

As an age 14 juvenile, adult prison is highly unlikely. His defense attorney should try to get charges dismissed if possible, or mitigate the consequences of conviction. His defense attorney may try to get the prosecutor to amend the charge to something other than theft of a firearm, or other disposition that would destroy his future civil rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.