Jacksonville, AR asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma

Q: I’m 17 I’ll be 18 in four months my mom always cusses me out and says I need to be responsible for my siblings.

She’s always drunk and doing dope I don’t want to be around that’s anymore she takes off and leaves us at a hotel we’ve been homeless for about four months. I don’t want to be with her anymore she’s always in my face and pushes me she say she don’t care what happens to me she took my siblings away from me I was just trying to keep them safe because she has Covid and I didn’t want them sick but she came and took them and started yelling at me and pushing me around I don’t know what to do anymore

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: First, that's a lot and this is probably really heavy on you.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for you and what you want to do. You have a bunch of different options, but they all come with different explanations and consequences.

If your goal is for you to be away and safe, you can maybe get emancipated. Or your mom might leave you to your own devices since you're almost 18 and let you not live with her.

If your goal is to protect your siblings, you can call the DHS Child Abuse Reporting Hotline at 1.800.522.3511 so DHS and maybe the police will check on your siblings. If they determine your siblings are not safe, they can remove them from your mother and put them somewhere safe.

It's hard to give any more specific information without knowing more about your situation. Hang in there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.