Augusta, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: I rent commercial property, and I would like to know where I can take my rent money to be held until repairs are made.

the air conditioner is not working I have tried to have it fix but it is not a minor repair, this the landlord should have repaired but he doesn't want to talk about it. And I'm afraid that if I keep paying him he will not fix it. and if I do not pay he will threaten to evict me and kick me out. What can I do here in this situation.. Help Please.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It sounds like you are in a business arrangement. I have always advised folks that if they are going to be in business, then BE in business. By this I mean that what you are doing here is a business matter. Because this situation involves too many moving parts, it cannot be adequately addressed here. To BE in business simply means that you need to have an attorney represent the business in this matter. If it is a corporation, GA law requires that all corporations be represented only by attorneys. If your business is a serious one, treat it with respect. An attorney could probably help you fairly quickly in this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.