Reading, PA asked in Animal / Dog Law for Pennsylvania

Q: my mother let my dog loose and is being charged with animal cruelty but the cops will not give my dog back

He is microchipped and when he was found i wasnt contacted they tried to take the dog home and my mother refused to let it on the property. So the cops took my dog and now refuse to tell me where he is will not give him back or anything i was not part of the animal cruelty as i had no idea he was let loose as i was not at the house at the time of the incident. I have many people or places my dog can stay at or with that i trust while everything is being done. What can i do can i sue for not giving my dog back when i did nothing wrong please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Contact the animal rescue league or any similar group in your county and see if they can intervene or help. Not sure why the police won't tell you where the dog is. Try the DA's office Victim Assistance Coordinator.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.