California, PA asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for California

Q: My insurance underwriter wants me to update wiring in a 120 yo home.

I bought a home in Pennsylvania recently, and there is some residual knob and tube wiring. My insurance underwriter did not do any inspection (due to covid), but is now threatening to drop coverage based on my disclosure.

I have had the home inspected multiple times, all of whom said that the wiring is perfectly safe. The insurer doesn't want to accept some of them, quibbling over the license.

A colleague told me that the k&t is grandfathered in within the state of Pennsylvania, and that it would be illegal for the insurer to drop coverage.

Before I go to the insurer and tell them that i don't want to get the wiring updated yet, i'd like to verify this.

I plan on it eventually, but i have other home improvement projects that i want to prioritize.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Karas
John Karas
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Temecula, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This is a question to pose to an insurance bad-faith attorney in Pennsylvania.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.