Point Pleasant Beach, NJ asked in Social Security for New Jersey

Q: I am on SSDI ( due to ms) and i'm in a irrevocable special needs trust with my brother who can't pass his portion to me

We are both equal ownership (inheridence from father who just died) but due to the fact he is involved with a bankruptcy which will not let him pass ownership to me. Do we have any options with out being forced to give up the condo(currently I am living there) at and have to move out? and can he give me ownership and will not negative effect on his bankruptcy?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC

A: I’m sorry that your father has passed and your brother is in a difficult circumstance. His bankruptcy attorney can explain all of his options with regard to the trust. His attorney may also need to consult with a probate/estate planning attorney. Because the laws regarding the trust are state specific.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.