Saint Louis, MO asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Missouri

Q: I've been renting the same apartment for 9 and 1/2 years, every year I signed a 12-month lease.

Now my landlord wants me to sign a 6 month lease so he can raise my rent twice in one year oh, is this legal for him to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: There is nothing illegal with your landlord seeking new terms on a new lease to go into effect when the current one ends. If you do not wish to sign the proposed lease, then you have the freedom to enter a lease with another landlord with terms acceptable to you. Under the current real estate market, rents have increased sharply in the past year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.