Fort Myers, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: Can a public health system, named as a defendant in a wrongful death lawsuit, use my money to litigate against me?

If a public health system, named as a defendant in a wrongful death lawsuit, uses my money (In theory, they are a public entity and I am a member of the public) to retain outside counsel to litigate against me, the plaintiff, am I entitled to recover some or all of the fees and expenses paid to the public health systems outside counsel? In other words, I am paying the defendant's counsel with my money to have him litigate against me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It matters not where the money to pay defendants' attorney fees came from. All that matters is whether the statute or case law that you are suing under provides for prevailing party attorney fees.

If you do not have counsel you are hurting yourself; look for an experienced tort lawyer who will take the wrongful death case on contingency (free) basis.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.