Choctaw, OK asked in Adoption for Oklahoma

Q: Can my boyfriend adopt my child?

My child's dad hasn't seen him since Father's day and has talked to him 3 times since then over facetime. He was talking about moving so I brought up to my boyfriend about adopting my child. My child loves him like a dad and my boyfriend loves him like his own. We also are having a baby together if that makes a difference. I don't know what to do because his dad says he wants to be in his life but he doesn't make an effort to. We don't have a written agreement or going through court so he doesn't pay child support. But he doesn't see him either. I just want what's best for my child and his bio dad isn't doing much to help that.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Short answer, no. In order for him to adopt then you would have to be married and file a step-parent adoption. Contact an adoption attorney to fully explain things.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.