Mobile, AL asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Arizona

Q: My daughter's mother in law is making her life miserable, she always call her " a bad mother" can she sue?

Grandma always say she is taking the kid away from my daughter, she said she is calling the department of child Care service.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I would suggest your daughter block her mother-in-law's number and let her husband deal with his mother. More to your question, yes, I am sure a claim could be filed. The chance of success is likely around 0%, but individuals CAN sue for practically any reason. Your daughter would need to put down a retainer of several thousand dollars and would almost certainly never see that money again.

Should the mother-in-law make false claims with child protection, she might have a little bit stronger case.

Stephen M Vincent agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.