Lake Charles, LA asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Libel & Slander for Louisiana

Q: what do i do if i lied on a police statement and want to change it

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: My careful, conservative answer is that before you do anything more, you should contact a lawyer, preferably a criminal defense lawyer, and discuss the specifics of this----- for example, why did you give a statement---was it as a witness to an accident, or as a witness to an alleged crime, or was it a statement coming from the "victim" of a crime? The context makes a difference. Furthermore, why do you want to change your statement at this time? A consultation with a lawyer should assist you in making the best decision for you and for this situation. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.