Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Louisiana Libel & Slander Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Education Law, Libel & Slander and Sexual Harassment for Louisiana on

Q: Can multiple students report an incident of hazing as a group?

We reported an incident of hazing and bullying as a group at my university. The school ignored the complaints until we demanded meetings with the deans about other issues, then we were finally permitted to report the hazing

Now, the school refuses to treat the victims as a collective group.... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Aug 14, 2019

You can do whatever you want

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Louisiana on

Q: can someone lie and have you charged if they gave you money and you discussed repayment but a week after giving you the

money the demand repayement terms that were never previously discussed and threaten to call he police and charge you if you dont sign what they want

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 11, 2019

People can lie all the time. People can threaten all the time.

I do not think that is what you want to ask.

But before you write again.

Try using those the grammar lessons you were taught in elementary school. Start each sentence or question with a capital and end with a...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for Louisiana on

Q: What happens to a person that falsely accuses another of domestic violence/sexual assault once they are proven innocent?

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Apr 29, 2019

Absolutely nothing. But it can be used in custody.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Louisiana on

Q: How does a prosecutor expect to win a conviction in front of a jury, when the allege victim says no crime was committed?

this case involves: no initial statement from the allege victim, during the investigation, to local officials:

an initial video statement to a forensic examiner where the allege victim said clearly, (no crime was committed upon her by the accuser)

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Jan 27, 2019

It may be a bluff to elicit a plea.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Libel & Slander and Civil Litigation for Louisiana on

Q: An ex employee that I fired in 2015, she made live video and topic was me.

I contacted her regarding the accusations. I told her I’d be putting a protective order on her. I wasn’t in town when I found out about video so when I returned I was served a protective that she put. Since that protective order she put on me she continues to post BS. What can I do ? Our court... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Dec 8, 2018

Save it all on a flash drive. Then hire an attorney to file for a permanent injunction against harassment and to fight her protective order. After saving on a flashdrive, contact each platform and ask them to remove her postings.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Libel & Slander and Criminal Law for Louisiana on

Q: Received a dog from a woman and now being threatened and harassed.

We took in a male in tact dog from someone who said he had to go that day or he would be euthanized for biting. We agree to pay her $200 for him later. Situations arise and we have to ask her to temporarily watch him again after he bites me. She agrees and states she can only watch him for a few... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on May 27, 2018

I'm assuming you have a receipt or cancelled check for your original $200. If not, what were you thinking giving anyone more than $20 without a receipt? That being said, yes, your attorney can file a Petition for a Restraining Order. Record her calls, print her emails, screen shot, email and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for Louisiana on

Q: I'm from Washington Parish in Louisiana. The sheriff, Mayor of Bogalusa and several other officials and members of the

Members of the Sheriff's Department all knew it was a lie yet they still kicked in my door and arrested me making this my third felony I'm trying to get a job I need my record clean I have warrants for the false charges now. My mom said I stole $2,000 and I'm charged with burglary inhabited... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Feb 23, 2018

Your choices are to hire a private criminal attorney or call the public defender.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Criminal Law for Louisiana on

Q: So if self defense is for everyone, when women hit men can men hit back for self defense or is that wrong?

If it's wrong to hit a women does that mean men just stay and get punched for about 20 minutes or until the women says im done? BUT if we hit back that doesn't count as a charge against women (like hitting women in law) I just wanted to get my questioned answered so if something happens (the world... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 18, 2017

We don't answer hypothetical questions but you are entitled to reasonable self defense.

That means if the woman is smaller/weaker you may cover up but punching her is likely to get a citation (though she may and should get one).

Perhaps the best answer is to avoid people likely to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Louisiana on

Q: Should I contact a criminal attorney on simple assault by 3 family members who verbally and physically attacked me?

I was falsely accused of murder by euthanaztion (father) against husband: Kevin, Me & Hospice Nurse w/ threats for bodily injury to Hospice Nurse made by phone/texts (report filed to her supervisor). Then I was body slammed onto concrete steps rolled off onto concrete ground. Witnessed by 3 family... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 6, 2017

Yes. You also can make a claim to the police about the threats.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Louisiana on

Q: I am a teacher and was suspended for a facebook post that was unrelated to school.

This post was about a situation that occurred at 5:30 (after school hours) at my niece's dance gym. It had absolutely nothing to do with school. My principal thought it was about her and went to the school board after I told her it wasn't about her and requested a hearing and suspension until... Read more »

Charles Joseph Stiegler answered on Apr 10, 2017

This question depends on many factors, including whether you are a member of a union and what the school board policies are in your parish (I am assuming you are a public school teacher). You should contact a local employment lawyer quickly to act to preserve your job.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Louisiana on

Q: I have filed a defamation lawsuit with the clerk, 3/23/2017. When can I expect a ruling?

Federal Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, suit v. City of New Orleans

Charles Joseph Stiegler answered on Mar 30, 2017

You are getting far ahead of yourself. It sounds like you need some basic information on federal civil procedure and how the legal process works. You should contact the clerk of court and ask if they have information or pamphlets for self-represented litigants (also called "pro se" litigants).... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for Louisiana on

Q: Can text messaging from a witness be construed as deposition?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 29, 2017

No but it's a statement and should be saved at all costs.Phones get wet. Information gets wiped out.

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Legal Malpractice and Libel & Slander for Louisiana on

Q: I was sued ifor over $24,900 for a $5,100 loan (estimate) A vehicle was repossessed for collateral in 2003. Is it legal?

Lawsuit in 2003, 1999 truck repossessed in 2004, default judgement in 2003..Revived judgement in 2012 & wage garnishment after my wife (married 2012) in 2015 for community regime . Claims to not have sold vehicle for collateral .. Is this legal ? I ordered a car fax & vehicle was sold less than 45... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 3, 2016

You need to consult someone who represents consumers. Go to

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.