Austin, TX asked in Bankruptcy and Collections

Q: How may I find out if I am eligible for volunteer legal services regarding creditor lawsuits and filing for bankruptcy?

I am being sued by a creditor and more are coming. I was advised to contact the plaintiff's attorney directly and request a hardship dismissal. There is a deadline for an answer to be filed with the court regarding current lawsuit and I have contacted the plaintiff attorney twice but have not received any response. I am facing eviction, on food assistance and filing for disability. I am frightened of all of these legal actions being threatened and now if an answer is not filed soon then they will attempt to take my last few dollars and I have next to nothing and no legal representation. I am also considering filing for bankruptcy but cannot afford legal assistance for this either--everyone wants fees but I have no funds which is why I am facing eviction and in need of food assistance. I do not know how to proceed with matters especially now that I am being required to answer suits but have no way to do so. Please advise if at all possible and let me know if help is available.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cristina M. Lipan
Cristina M. Lipan
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Wantagh, NY

A: Upsolve is a non-profit that may be able to help, if you qualify.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.