Banning, CA asked in Uncategorized for California

Q: Back in February of this year my boyfriend and I got invited by his old coworkers to go to a air bnb for a weekend. We -

each paid $200. The trip is in 2 weeks but we aren’t able to go anymore due to my boyfriends dad just getting out of the hospital after having a flesh eating infection. He is not able to be alone and need 24 hours care. My boyfriend needs to stay with him to help take care of him. Once we informed his coworkers we are unable to go and would like our money back, they flat out said no and aren’t trying to give us our money back. I just wanna know if there’s anything we can do because I feel like it’s not fair for us to pay $400 for them to go on vacation. I just feel like we just got our money stolen. To be clear we never signed any contract stating that we wouldn’t be able to get our money back if we couldn’t go.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: First, very sorry to hear about the dad's medical condition, it must be very stressful for you right now. The co-workers are not under an obligation to refund your money. Perhaps if you tried to appeal to them on another basis, like you really need the money due to the dad's illness, it would go further than just telling them you don't think it is "fair" for them to keep your money. They probably budgeted for this based on counting your $400 contribution and it is probably too late to find a replacement. You might find a replacement and have them pay you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.