El Paso, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: When i married my husband he had a house he just sold it and pocketed all the money.

We just purchased a home under both our names but did not put any money down from the sale of his house. I am now currently paying for the mortgage of new home. In case of a divorce am I entitled to the money he has from selling his previous home. When we lived there I contributed to the house payments even though it wasn't under my name...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Omar Darwich
Omar Darwich
  • El Paso, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If the husband owned the house prior to your marriage it would be considered separate property. However, you would be entitled to contributions.

The money from the sale of the house...is it in a separate account or has the money been comingled? I understand that it was not used as a downpayment for the new house, but there are still some questions that come up.

Speaking to an attorney will be beneficial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.