Lewiston, ME asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Maine

Q: Will a judge change a custody agreement if it means the other parent will lose his job?

I have my child every weekend and 1 week a month, my ex wife decided out of the blue that she now wants it one week on one week off so she gets weekends too. I work out of state during the week and take one week off every month. If this change goes through I will have to leave my job of 15 years. Will a judge force me to quit my job to appease my ex? There has been no big change in circumstances.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Guillory
Robert Guillory
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Saco, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: in my experience a judge would be unlikely to do this. if you say that you cannot take the child during the week the judge will not order you to lose your job. However the judge might very well order that mom gets some weekend time so you would have to decide if you want to ask for time during the week to make up for what you lose.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.