New York, NY asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for New York

Q: 50% custody - who is paying for child support?

Our child will be living with me in NYC since she’s enrolled in a NYC public school. Our child would spend all weekends with her mom outside of NYC. My spouse wants a 50% custody. My spouse is the lower earning parent. While our child will spend 65% of her time with me and 35% of her time with her mom, do I (higher earning parent) will end up paying child support? Is a 50% custody fair to me? thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: In a 50/50 custody case, the higher earning spouse pays child support based on the Child support standard act as if he/she does not have custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.