Bend, OR asked in Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: How do I remove an abusive partner from my home?

We have lived together for the last 3 years. We have 2 children together. I am the sole homeowner and work full-time. She works part-time and refuses to leave because she can't afford to live on her own. She is extremely abusive to myself and our children. I have insisted that she needs to leave but she remains defiant. I do not want to involve law enforcement but she is making all our lives miserable. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: It depends upon whether she can legally be classified as a tenant. If so, you go through the hoops to terminate her tenancy and evict if necessary. If not a tenant (likely given your brief description), then you have to file to eject her from the house. Eviction and ejection share similar goals - get the person out, with the help of the Sheriff if necessary. But how you get there legally is quite different. Neither are do-it-yourself projects. Review everything with a local landlord-tenant attorney. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.