Mechanicsville, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: What do I do to continue being my child advocate who has autism and is 18 but still attends high school in Maryland

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: There are attorneys who practice "education law" as well as focus on disability law and similar specialties. You should search for such a lawyer if you need to address or understand legal issues that arise (which you do not specify). Generally, childen with a disability (autism qualifies, but it depends on an assessment of eligibilty as not all levels of autism may qualify) are entitled to educational services from the state until they turn 21. Here is a link to the Maryland State Bar Association's web page with information and a list of resources to contact for help:

Here is the Maryland Special Education Rights Handbook:

Here is a link to a Maryland disability rights organization with a lot of helpful resources:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.