Lafayette, LA asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I get a ticket in the mail if police didn't see me leave my son alone for some minutes in AC- car?

I had left my 3 year old son alone in car with AC on, a tablet to play with but I had the key inside and driver's side unlocked. I went for about 10 minutes. Some people saw him, called the cops and brought him out of the car. I came out and saw him with them. It really was stupid of me. I have no good excuse. He could have been kidnapped!. They told me they had given the cops my plate number. I thanked them and left. Saw a police car entering the parking lot as I left.

I have been waiting for the cops at my door but I want to know if they can send ticket to my mail instead? Or charge me for child endangerment without seeing me?

Can this make them take my baby away?

Also, I am an international student, can this incident go on my record and affect my stay or subsequent renewal?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Yes they can still charge you. If you get charged, hire juvenile court lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.