Merritt Island, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Florida

Q: Can my landlord place a clause in my rental agreement that I can’t change my address info to my new residence?

Oral agreement, demanding cash only, not allowed to change mailing address or have proof of residence to new residence as it might affect her SSDI. refuses to give rent receipts, has changed the rental agreement and then broken it in a 10 day span and then served notice of termination of tenancy, now stating I’m withholding rent. Refuses written rental agreement or letter of reference. Witnesses available, text communication and other documents available. Am I able to sue for illegal clause in rental agreement for previous months rent returned in small claims?

1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No, because there's no such thing as inserting a clause in an oral agreement. Clauses are written, and your rent paid is paid.

She sounds like a loon. Just move and end the drama.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.