Angleton, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: In Texas, what happens when you are out on bond and have not been indicted in 180 days on a felony charge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should talk to your criminal defense attorney about the case status. The DA has at least 3 years to get an indictment on a felony... and more for some felonies. So the problem is that if you get the case dismissed for a delayed indictment then your BOND is also dismissed... then if the DA comes along later and gets an indictment you will be arrested and taken to jail because you have no bond. You should try to be 100% certain that the DA has given up on the case before taking any action that would release you from the bond.

Michael Hamilton Rodgers agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.