Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: Does Alabama have rights for an aunt if the mother dies?

So my sister died and she has 1 child. This child’s father is living, but can’t get custody of a dog if he wanted to, and has had prior cases where he was denied custody of other children. The child in question was given to his dads mom and it was court ordered for her to keep us in touch with him and we have visitation rights. The lady changed her number and we haven’t spoken to or seen the child in about 2 years. Can I do anything about this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If the Court Order assigning custody lays out conditions that must be met then you can enforce them. However, if the Court granted custody without assigning those conditions then it is likely nothing could be done. Alabama has only recently recognized grandparents rights and the law is still a bit vague there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.