Omaha, NE asked in Child Support for Nebraska

Q: We had a temp hearing. The judge ordered child supt. When do I start paying? Order hasn’t be signed or filed in court.

We got 50/50 and the temp order states child support and alimony for me to start paying and for both of us to take care of our own mortgages and bills. She has not made the mortgage payment and I haven’t pay for child support and alimony yet since I don’t have any court paperwork. Her lawyer is dragging his feet in signing the temp order. Temp hearing happened 10 days ago. When is this order effective? Is it immediate for everything stated by the judge at the hearing? With the caveat of child support to be set with the signed order regardless of date? I want to pay but don’t want to not get credit if I pay without a court order. When does she need to start paying her bills?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The Order will include the start date that the judge ordered the payments to start. Most temporary orders are entered by the Court within a relatively short period of time after the hearing occurs, from a few days to a month or so on average. If the other party was required to prepare the order and doesn't submit the Order within the normal period of time, then you may need to file a motion with the Court to ask the Court to enter the order. Child support is normally required through the Nebraska Child Support Payment Center. The method of making other payments can depend on the terms of the Order. It sounds like it may be time to hire an attorney to give you advice specific to your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.