Asked in Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: Who is responsible for transporting inmates to court if they are being held in another county?

My friend was sentenced to 3 years in our county but was relocated to a county jail 2 1/2 hours away after briefly being held in lmdc immediately after sentencing. He has a shock probation hearing on Tuesday (9/7) but again the county jail he’s at is 2 1/2 hours away. He has been trying to ask staff to make sure they have arranged transportation or have the contact info to appear by Zoom or over the phone but they say they have no information that he has court. Will the county he has court in pick him up? We are afraid they will push back the court date if he doesn’t appear and he has been waiting a long time for this day. I want to be proactive and make sure he can appear in some way for court. He has an attorney but he never returns my calls.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leland Hulbert
Leland Hulbert
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: The department of corrections has complete control over these matters. Either the housing county has to bring him or there has to be transportation initiated from the county of the hearing. There’s been a lot of problems over the last year with Covid and certain counties not wanting to receive or take inmates. It’s also possible that the hearing could be done over zoom.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.