Wooster, OH asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Ohio

Q: How can I keep my deceased Mother's house from being taken by Medicaid Estate Recovery in Ohio?

My wife, kids, and I live in my Mother's house. She passed away in April 2021 without a will and probate hasn't been started yet. We received a letter from the Ohio Attorney General stating that she owes $74,000 for Medicaid Estate Recovery. I'm assuming they'll put a lien on the house. Can I make payments to keep the house?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Epling
Aaron Epling
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: This is a very good question. If you are disabled, then you may be able to stay in the house. If not, then another option is to negotiate with Medicaid and they may take a lower amount in exchange for not having to foreclose. Either way, you should probably get an experienced attorney involved who knows how cases like this usually work out.

So you know, this would have happened whether she had a will or not.

Mary Ellen Leslie Esq. agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.