Saint Joseph, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: I received a ticket for speeding and 2 civil infractions. Cop dropped original ticket and court date issued new ticket

The problem is with the new ticket when he came to my house he said he’s dropping the speeding but not the suspended licenses or failure for registration. Mind you I took his advise got the registration and my license done same day online. They said I missed court but I have an email saying they canceled it. Also with the new ticket he didn’t write the date I should be to the court house to get the issue resolved every time I stopped by the courthouse he didn’t have it in the system yet. So they kept saying just stop back by. I hear nothing they said they will have him resolve it I stop in I find out it’s now a misdemeanor and I have two civil infractions. How is this right when I notice when speaking to the magistrate out tickets don’t match. Like I said the cop failed to include the timeframe from my original June 8 ticket what date I was to appear by the court yet I stopped in 10 days from when he issued the ticket but it wasn’t in the system. Should I take it to court. will I win

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You should take it to court, and when you talk with a prosecutor, they'll probably straighten some of this out.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.