Dearborn Heights, MI asked in Intellectual Property and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Can I immediately evict a tenant if they threaten property damage through text? He’s also verbally threatened my fiancé.

He’s been staying with us for awhile, he hasn’t paid rent this month and hasn’t paid bills from the month prior. He also made himself a liability when he constantly gets drunk and plays with his firearms. When confronted, he verbally threatened my fiancé while I was at work and told us he was leaving that day, took most of his things and left for about a week. He didn’t return his key. So we changed the locks. He came back without notice, drunk, and texted and called me and my fiancé that he’s going to bust the door to our house down. While also yelling at my fiancé through her window. She ended up having to call the police out of fear from his aggressive behavior and him possibly having his gun. The police ended up letting him take most of the things he left at our property prior and told him he had to leave the property. Can I immediately evict him and what would be the proper course of action?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If rent is unpaid, deliver a 3-day notice to vacate, then file an eviction action. If you just change the the locks and throw his things outside, he could sue you for wrongful eviction. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.