Columbus, GA asked in Medical Malpractice for Georgia

Q: My unmarried so died leaving a 2 year old. There will be a lawsuit

Who files lawsuit girlfriend or my son's parents

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kimberly Grant
Kimberly Grant
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I am sorry for your loss.

The claim for wrongful death belongs to your grandson. An adult will need to bring the lawsuit on his behalf. That adult can be the girlfriend or the grandparents. Any money awarded from the lawsuit will be only for his benefit and everything must be approved by the Court.

There is also potentially an Estate claim for medical expenses and pain and suffering (if your son did not die instantly and required medical attention) and funeral and burial expenses. This claim is brought by the individual named in a will as an Executor or by a person who applies to the Probate Court and is appointed Administrator. This claim generally is not as significant as the wrongful death claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.