Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: I have 5 convictions on my record - is it possible to prevent 1 of those charges from being seen when applying for jobs?

To simplify things, here is all the information that I believe is necessary to answer my question:

My criminal record has 5 convictions on it, 2 felony convictions and 3 misdemeanor convictions. Both felony charges are for minor drug possession of schedule 1 substances, and the 3 misdemeanors are...(1) possession of marijuana, (2) DWI, (3) Theft of property. All 5 convictions are in Tarrant County, Texas; I also currently still live in Tarrant County in Texas.

With that being said, is there any possible way I can do something to prevent my ‘misdemeanor conviction for theft of property’ from being seen on my background check whenever I apply for a new job? It’s been 1 year and 2 weeks since I was convicted.

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Technically yes, you could get a pardon from the Governor of Texas. Realistically no, it hasn't been long enough for a pardon and very few people are ever pardoned. If that theft had been your very first conviction ever then you probably could have had it sealed, but since you have 4 others...

You should seriously think about how you could start your own business so nobody will be looking at your criminal history.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.