Bronx, NY asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My sister passed away in Puerto Rico. I want to assume custody of my youngest nephew. His Dad has is not part of his lif

How can I get custody and how long does it take? My wife and I can take great care of him but we need to get back to FL in aprox 10 days.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Good afternoon. As a general rule, Puerto Rico courts procure that guardians of orphaned minors reside within the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; unless no other alternative guardians are available to care for the minor. A custody case requires that close kin be present at the trial, to present their agreement or objections regarding the candidate guardian(s). The petitioner must provide full disclosure of personal finances, evidence that neither alimony nor child support is owed, as well as certification from the resident police department to demonstrate the absence of a criminal record; among other documents. A district attorney will be present to watch out for the minor’s interest.

Although you’ve stated that the biological father is not present in the child’s life, the courts will require him to be served and present at the hearings.

Taking the child outside Puerto Rico is not impossible; but the court must be convinced that this alternative is in the minor’s bet interest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.