Lawrenceville, GA asked in Car Accidents for Georgia

Q: Hi, I am a 20 year old and cant afford a lawyer for a summons and don't have much money at all.

I was uninsured in a vehicle but needed to work in the pandemic, I live by myself and have been since my mom threw me out at the age of 18. I have been working low income jobs and have struggled to survive everyday. At one point I was homeless due to financial struggles. What should I do? I am broke, no assets, and still trying to build my future but with this my hopes of attempting to go to school might be crushed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Georgia attorney should advise here, but your question remains open for a week. Your situation is a difficult one, and is really needs a more meaningful response than a brief textbox answer. You could look into legal aid society/pro bono services. However, those organizations tend to handle matters involving evictions, immigration, family law, criminal, and things outside of motor vehicle accidents. Another option could be to see if you could arrange for a consult (which you admit is difficult, given your situation) in some form to determine what your response to the summons and complaint should be based on the damages, your financial situation, and other factors. Doing nothing would not be advisable, as that could ultimately result in a judgment. You could check with the State Bar of Georgia to see if they have resources that could provide guidance. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.