Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law

Q: I own an apartment that is fully paid and I want to add my sisters name as she is part owner, how can I do that?

Do we both have to be present to sign any documents or can we do it online or do you need just one of us, also what type of information do you require?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: "Adding" another name to a real estate title usually involves signing a deed that must be notarized and then recorded in the local land records. This is not a step that should be taken lightly as it can't be "taken back". The form of the deed is an important consideration, as is the manner in which title is to be held. For example, in most states two unrelated persons could hold title as tenants in common OR as joint tenants with right of survivorship. There are significant consequences to either decision. You should have an experienced real estate or estate planning attorney help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.