Miami, FL asked in DUI / DWI, Real Estate Law, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Florida

Q: My DL was taken from me by a lawyer in 1994. I was in a car accident and it was my fault. DUI. And I can't pay

Is there a statue of limitation on this

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Have you contacted the Fla. Dept. of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to ask what you can do to reinstate your DL? Generally, DL suspension for failure to pay a money judgment arising from a car accident is up to three years. The statute of limitations is irrelevant - that's about deadlines for filing cases. Or was your DL revoked by the CRIMINAL COURT? - which is a different kettle of fish than suspension for failure to pay a civil money judgment. Your rights and remedies depend on which of those two situations it is.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.