Austin, TX asked in Estate Planning for Texas

Q: My mom passed away with no will, the only assets she had was the house, which I was the grantor for her.

I need to put the house back to my name.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ross F. Tew
Ross F. Tew
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Arlington, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your mom left no Will, and the house is titled in her name, then it is inherited by her heirs. Her heirs would include her spouse if she was married at the time of her death, as well as her descendants. These are broad strokes. Exactly who receives what and in what proportion depends on more facts than I have available to me here. I suggest you take the most recently recorded deed to the property, your mother's death certificate, and meet with a local probate attorney who can advise you further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.