San Francisco, CA asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: When is it possible to get out of or dissolve a signed contract?

I only lived in an apartment for 1 day before deciding to move out. I signed the contract regarding security deposits but I think it's unfair that I don't get at least a portion of it back because I lived there for such a short amount. Additionally, the house owner breached verbal contracts (no proof) that led me to agree with signing the contract and living there (also led up to the decision of moving out). For example, she said I'd be getting a female roommate next to my room but she told me it was a male right as I was walking up the stairs unloading my property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathon Maddox
Jonathon Maddox
  • Redding, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you signed the lease for the month and there was no official foul play, then you are committed to paying for the month, regardless of how long you decided to live in the apartment. The landlord has committed that month and has no duty to replace your monthly contract.

In regards to the verbal contract breach, there are certain situations they are required to disclose, and there are certain things they can't misrepresent. I would discuss with a lawyer no specifics to see if you have a case on misrepresentation, which would then entitle you to a refund.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.