New York, NY asked in Tax Law for New York

Q: Hi I have about 75K in tax debt is there anyway the IRS would take less for an immediate lump sum without making an OIC?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: No. You would have to submit an offer. The only other way to pay less without submitting an offer is to request a penalty abatement, however, most taxpayers do not qualify for a full penalty abatement. Most people can usually only get penalties abated for the first year. I recommend at least talking to an experienced tax attorney. Stay away from the places you see advertised on TV and find an attorney through Justia, your local bar association, etc. Most of us offer a free consultation, so you have nothing to lose by doing a quick consultation with someone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.