Hesperia, CA asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for California

Q: How can I find out if someone patented a car motor in California.

My ex husband designed a car motor while we were married. He passed away in February and he was in dealings with a car company to sell his design. When he passed his roommates didn’t allow me or his mom to get his things. So I don’t have anything to prove it was his design unless I can find the patent. Is there a way to look for this patent with his name?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Chapel Hill, NC

A: I am sorry that someone you once loved intensely has died.

One place to look for an indication that your ex-husband assigned rights in an invention over to another entity is the assignment database -- https://assignment.uspto.gov/patent/index.html#/patent/search

A limitation of this is that many patent applications are hidden until 18 months into the process (or the patent issues whichever is first). Thus, recent work may be hidden in the pipeline. If the application was first filed in the PCT system, it may not show up in the US for 34 months after filing.

Even if your ex-husband never completed the deal, it is possible that that patent application was filed in his name and you can see that by searching for his name in Google Patents. https://patents.google.com/

It is possible that the status of this invention and his intent for how this should be handled after his death is in his will.

I hope that this helps.

Kevin E Flynn

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.