Bloomington, CA asked in Gaming for California

Q: If a CA tribal casino security finds meth in hotel room can they charge as a smoking fee and not report it to cops?

The casino has charged me and my friends more than the deposit of the disclosure charging some people up to $500 for finding meth in the room. Yet they are not reporting it to authority's so its safe to assume they are making these fees up as hush money and not documenting it for auditors. So are they supposed to report to authorities and how did they know it was Meth are they qualified to test it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, they are supposed to report and then the authorities can arrest you and all your friends for possession of a controlled substance, you can be criminally charged and will have to hire attorneys to defend yourselves. You can end up with criminal convictions on your records which will affect your abilities to borrow money, get a job and get licensed by the government.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.