Denville, NJ asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: Married over 30 years. Youngest 2 of 6 children are Freshmen & Sr. in college. Hubby wants divorce but does not

want to pay spousal or child support for the 2 college kids. Now in my mid 50's, I have no income and we cannot afford divorce, as per multiple attorneys from previous consultations. About $100,000 equity in the house, $30,000 in 401K and he has $40,000 in separate personal account from inheritance he's keeping for himself and only himself. Is he really going to be able to walk away without paying spousal or child support even though this is what we agreed upon and there is no way I'd be able to obtain a job that could possibly support myself or the 2 younger kids. I'm also attempting to obtain ss disability for numerous autoimmune illnesses I was diagnosed with 10 years ago, but it's going to be a long road - before that's decided.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I dont know if any of the lawyers you met with for consultation purposes were specialists, but presumably during your consultation[s], you discussed your employment history, your husbands current employment setting and your employment potential to determine what your husbands support obligation would / should look like. The key focus is on his employment setting, the income generated from same and your employment potential as well to determine what if anything would be your husbands support obligation. Again, my suggestion is to have another consultation with another family law attorney to discuss this issue.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.