Hillsborough, NJ asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New Jersey

Q: What the penalty for an 18 year old for the first time when commit Theft by unlawful taking or disposition

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: At 18 you are considered an adult in the criminal justice system so you face adult penalties which at the minimum for any theft offense is up to 180 days in jail, fines, probation etc if the amount is up to $200.00. Over $200 but less than $500 up to 18 months in jail, fines probation and Over $500.00 but less than $75K 3 to 5 years in jail, fines probation etc and it goes up even further for a greater theft. If you are charged with this offense, make sure you have a good lawyer on your side to try to reduce or eliminate these penalties that you face. Most of us criminal lawyers offer a free in office consultation, I would suggest that you set one up.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.